Friday, November 6, 2009

Velocity serves up bikes and bites



By Mia Watkins
Crossroads College Preparatory School


There's something new brewing at the corner of Forest Park Parkway and DeBalivere Avenue. There's a corner coffee shop that includes bike repairs and rentals along with their menu of sandwiches and paninis. Velocity Cafe and Cyclery is far from your traditional coffee shop.

Susan Gyorog, manager of Velocity, was inspired by her neighborhood to establish her business.

"We've been open exactly a year, and the reason that I thought of it is that I live in the neighborhood, and I love to bicycle. I wanted to open a bike shop," she said. "I researched this more. I realized that you couldn't make a living with a bike shop alone. I thought, 'What goes well with bikes?' Coffee," she said, laughing.

Velocity Cafe and Cyclery is a unique cafe near Forest Park that customers love. In addition to coffee, the shop offers organic snacks and sandwiches along with bike services. 

"This area, I thought, could use a good cafe...it's hard, it's really hard,” Gyorog said. “You have to have your mind in two different places all the time. It takes different skills."   

Traci Young, a frequent customer, said the shop has great food. The location is also convenient, she said.

"I usually chill out to study, but I do bike,” she said. “I don't use their bikes. I do come ask them questions about bikes." 

Besides the nearby residents, many other customers come from Washington University. 

"Lots of college people that come in here are regulars," said Pat Grosch, a barista. "Also, people from the neighborhood that come in for their morning coffee and the Wi-Fi we have here," Grosch said, referring to the wireless service for computers.  

"I feel like it’s a one-stop shop. I also feel like the cyclists like to drink coffee. So when they're waiting for their bike to get fixed, they can have a cup of coffee. It's like killing two birds with one stone." 

About 17 people work at Velocity. Some of the workers devote their time to either the coffee shop or bike repair shop, while others do a little of both.  

Eric Zibbel, one of the baristas, does double duty. "It’s more or less split," he said, describing how he does his job. 

On the other hand, Justin Wash spends most of his time repairing bikes.

"It gives you something to do with your hands besides sitting behind a desk all day," he said.  

Starting a new business in these difficult economic times can be a challenge, but Gyorog was willing to take a chance.  

"Well, we've only been open a year, and so, we opened just as the economy was collapsing,” she said. “And so, I don't know how it would've been if we had opened at a different time. However, I projected that we would have twice the business that we have. So, we do not have as much business as we need." 

The future for Velocity is uncertain. But for now, Gyorog plans to just keep on rolling.
                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment